Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Roasted Vegetables with Rice

Source- Me!

I did have an inspiration for this recipe, but it called for cooking the tomatoes in an aluminum foil pouch on a grill.  Since I don't have an indoor grill or outdoor grill I decided that I'd cook them in the oven, and then I also added a zucchini and squash.  I was making pork loin and knew I needed some sort of side to go with the vegetables, so I opted for rice.  That is how this whole thing came together.

Ingredients
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • 2- 12oz bags of cherry tomatoes with stems removed
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • seasoning salt
  • pepper
  • 3 cups uncooked brown rice
  • water for rice, or chicken stock/broth
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
  • Place vegetables in bowl.
  • Add oil, salt and pepper
  • Mix until vegetables are well coated.
  • Pour onto covered cookie sheet.
  • Bake in oven about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are well cooked and tomatoes start to pop.  
  • While vegetables are roasting, cook rice according to package directions.  I used minute rice so that I didn't have to wait so long.
  • After rice has finished cooking and set, pour into large mixing bowl.  
  • Add vegetables and any juices that have accumulated.
  • Mix well and serve hot.
Review & Changes- I am a genius!  OK, maybe not really but this recipe was great.  I've never cooked with zucchini or squash but knew that I liked them because of trying them at restaurants in a mixed vegetable medley.  I'm glad I included the rice.  It made the vegetables a little bit more without overpowering them.  Plus having roasted veggies and brown rice as a side instead of a potato made me feel that we were eating healthy.

I'm sure you could change up the veggies or even add in different seasonings, but they aren't necessary.  After this success I will be using zucchini and squash again!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment