Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Trying to Conceive

So when I started this blog, I mentioned that I would talk about our attempts at getting pregnant. First off, I have no intention of getting into graphic details about various bodily functions. It's just not my style to talk about, let alone share it online.

We started talking about having kids just a couple years into our relationship, but we really wanted to wait till we did the "I Dos." Tim was fine with starting trying right after the wedding, but after the wedding I wasn't so gung-ho anymore. When trying was more abstract, and determined by when we set the wedding date it wasn't so scary and I was impatient to start. When the time to actually get pregnant arrived, it was a lot scarier than I had anticipated. So while we got married last May, it wasn't until September that I actually stopped taking the pills.

I went on birth control very shortly before meeting Tim, so I had been on birth control for over 5 years at the time I stopped taking them. Taking a little pill everyday got to be a responsible habit, but one I had no problem breaking. At this point I'm on my 7th cycle. Getting pregnant isn't happening as quickly as I'd like. My mom got pregnant just a few short months after her wedding, and had me and my sister within 3 years of marriage. My sister got pregnant right out of high school and I now have 2 beautiful nieces. My concern is that no one in my family has ever been on birth control for as long as I was. I honestly don't know a female relative that is on it at all. I'm definitely worried about how the birth control will influence our efforts.

We'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I don't have plans to TTC anytime soon, but I have been on the pill now for 9 years straight and I was concerned about how that would affect any future attempts. I asked my doctor about it last year, and she told me not to worry about it. She told me that she was on BCP for 10 years, and since getting off, she's had two children. Still, I've wondered what kind of long-term effects there are to putting that pill into my body for so many years. But doctors should know what they're talking about! :-)

    - Keri/Kasa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m sending baby vibes your way. I'm another, been on it for years and didn't have a problem TTC. I hope everything is OK for you! I know for some it takes a little longer than others. Again, Babies your way!

    ReplyDelete