Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Vegetable Pasta

Source- Stephanie Cooks

Sometimes I don't have a story for why I pick a recipe.  This looked good months ago when it came up in my Google Reader.  I just browsed through my saved recipes when making my weekly menu, and this recipe looked good.

The one change I made was to cook everything in one pot.  I hate dirtying dishes, so I'd rather take a bit longer to cook everything and only dirty one dish.  I cooked the pasta and broccoli first.  Then the chicken, and then continued the dish as the directions specified.  Note- I changed the directions to reflect how I cooked.

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces pasta (used rigatoni)
  • 1 cup broccoli
  • 1lb chicken, cubed
  • 1 cup mushrooms, diced  (used 7oz can)
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/3 cup 1% milk 
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 tbsp. light cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
Preparation
  • Cook the pasta according to package directions.
  • Add broccoli to the pasta during the last couple of minutes of cooking.  Drain.
  • Add oil to skillet. 
  • Cook chicken until no longer pink and slightly browned. 
  • Remove from pan.
  • Add the onions and mushrooms to same pan. Stir occasionally. Cook until soft.
  • Add the garlic, stir well, cook for about 30 seconds.
  • Add the flour, stirring it into the veggies. 
  • Pour in the milk and whisk continually until well combined.
  • Cook until it thickens, about 10 minutes. Once it thickens add the salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Lower the heat, stir in the cream cheese. Continue stirring until well combined.
  • Add the parmesan cheese, stirring until combined.
  • Add the red pepper flakes, chicken, pasta, and broccoli to the skillet. 
  • Allow to heat over low heat until all ingredients are hot.
Next Time- This recipe had great flavor.  Nothing needs to be changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment