Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Garlic Tuscan Chicken

Source- adapted from Joelen's Culinary Adventures

 Where to start with this recipe?  Apparently it originates from Olive Garden's website.  I don't think I've ever ordered this when I've eaten there, and after trying mine I don't think I will.  Not because it was bad, but because I don't want to compare my own cooking to a restaurant.

This recipe does not disappoint.  Honestly, you could eat it without the chicken, and make it a vegetarian meal.
This first picture was taken without the chicken because the chicken wasn't quite done, and I was too impatient to try it to wait!  ;)

Also, I'm a 1 pot girl.  If I can make everything in 1 pot, I will, even if it takes me a bit longer cooking time-wise.  Since all the dishes fall on my shoulders to get clean I like to limit dirty dishes where I can.  So the steps below reflect the steps I took using one 1 pot. 

Ingredients
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 cups flour, plus 1 tablespoon
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 lb farfalle pasta, cooked according to package directions
  • 5 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 red pepper, julienne cut
  • 1 yellow pepper, julienne cut
  • 1 green pepper, julienne cut
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 cup canned evaporated milk
  • 1 cups Fontinella cheese, grated 
Preparation
  • Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. 
  • In large pot cook pasta according to package directions.  
  • Drain, and set aside.
  • Mix 1½ cups flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning in a shallow dish. 
  • Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
  • Heat 3 Tbsp oil in pot. 
  • Cook chicken breasts over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp (2-3 min). Add more oil for each batch as necessary.
  • Place cooked chicken breasts on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and transfer to preheated oven. 
  • Cook for 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
  • In pot you just removed chicken from add 2 Tbsp oil, if necessary. 
  • Add garlic and peppers and cook for approximately 1 minute. 
  • Stir in 1 Tbsp flour, wine, spinach and cream and bring to a boil. Sauce is done when spinach becomes wilted.
  • Complete by stirring in the cheese.
  • Pour pasta into pot with sauce and mix well.
  • Serve by topping pasta with chicken and remaining sauce. Garnish with extra cheese if desired. 

Next Time- This recipe is so good.  Like I said before, it could easily be a vegetarian meal.  This makes a lot of pasta and vegetables, so I'd make sure you have plenty of chicken to go with it.  I'd say make more like 6 breasts, instead of 4.  Or cut down on the pasta and vegetables if you didn't want to make that much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment