Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chicken Penne al Fresco

Source: My Happy Meals




I love pasta. And after a few previous recipes that used fresh grape tomatoes to form the sauce, I've come to love them as well. This recipe caught my eye in my google reader, and I really wanted to make it during summer. With near 90 degree temps, a lot of cooking or heavy stuff just didn't appeal. So out I pulled this recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced (minced)
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes (1 1/2 pints, just over 2 cups)
  • 3 cups penne pasta (used 1lb. box)
  • 3 3/4 cups chicken broth (used 2 cans, didn't measure exact)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh basil leaves, (1 tsp. dried)
  • 2 cups diced cooked chicken (used 4 breasts)
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (used more)

Preparation
  • Coat a microwave-safe casserole dish with olive oil; stir in the garlic and tomatoes.
  • Cover and microwave on High until tomatoes begin to burst, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.
  • Remove garlic and tomato mixture from the microwave and crush the remaining tomatoes with a fork.
  • Stir in pasta, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
  • Cover and return to microwave.
  • Cook on High until pasta is tender, 16 to 18 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
  • Remove pasta from the microwave, then stir in the basil, chicken, and Parmesan cheese.
Next Time- Cooking this in the microwave wasn't fun. I burned myself trying to crush the tomatoes that hadn't popped, and stirring it once the pasta was cooking. So I think I'd alter the recipe to cook it on the stove top. Perhaps even cut down the liquid to the proper amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment