Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Sweet-and-Sour Chicken and Rice Stir-Fry

Source: One Dish Meals Cookbook

Do you love Sweet-and-Sour Chicken? I know I do. I especially love the sauce, it's great for dipping egg rolls. When I saw this recipe in the cookbook, I knew H and I would love it. It didn't disappoint.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. precut chicken breast strips for stir-frying
  • 1 (1lb) pkg frozen broccoli florets, carrots and water chestnuts, thawed and drained
  • 1 8oz can pineapple chunks in unsweetened juice, undrained (used 20 oz. can)
  • water
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant white rice
  • 3/4 cup purchased sweet-and-sour sauce
Preparation
  • Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
  • Heat over medium-high until hot.
  • Add chicken: cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Stir in vegetables.
  • Cover: cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are hot and chicken is no longer pink.
  • Meanwhile, drain pineapple liquid into 2-cup measuring cup; add water to make 1 1/2 cups.
  • Add pineapple liquid mixture and pineapple to skillet. Bring to a boil.
  • Stir in rice; return to a boil.
  • Reduce heat ot low; cover and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and liquid is absorbed.
  • Stir in sweet-and-sour sauce.
Next Time- This was great. I especially enjoyed all the pineapple. Definitely am happy I used the larger can. This was really sweet, so perhaps a teaspoon or so of red pepper flakes would give it a bit of a contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment