Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2009

Beef and Peppers with Noodles

I found this recipe in Mary Ellen's blog. H and I made it together tonight. I love having a helper! I couldn't find the noodles that Mary Ellen used. Apparently Meijer isn't very diverse! LOL! I bought Chow Mein Stir fry noodles. They worked fine.

Ingredients
  • 3 peppers - I used 2 green, 1 red - cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 onion, cut into strips (I used a whole onion)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb steak strips marinated in soy and Worcestershire with a touch of garlic powder and onion powder (marinated for 20-30 minutes) (used 1/2 lbs. eye of round steak)
  • 1 package powdered brown gravy mixed with 1 c water
  • 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/3 c cooking sherry (used beef broth)
  • 1/2 package Chinese noodles (not sure what they are called - my parents bought them for us in Chinatown - they are medium, flat noodles that cook up quickly)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Chopped green onions for garnish

Preparation

  • Heat a large saute pan over high heat
  • Add steak strips and cook until just a bit more than halfway done
  • Deglaze pan with cooking sherry, scraping up brown bits
  • Add garlic, onions, and peppers; saute for a few minutes
  • Mix gravy/water with Hoison and soy; add to pan
  • Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 5 minutes; the sauce will thicken
  • In the meantime, boil water. Add noodles and cook until done - about 5 minutes. Drain.
  • Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or wok over high heat
  • Add noodles and toss with approximately 2 tsp soy sauce. When done, garnish with green onions.


Next time- I would just use rice. And my picture doesn't look nearly as tasty as Mary Ellen's!

No comments:

Post a Comment