Search This Blog

Monday, March 23, 2009

Internal Observation

I'm discovering that I'm a very spiteful person. I bring this up in reference to the books I choose to read, or don't read as this is the case.

Last year all anyone heard about was Twilight. My 16 year old sister was really into the books when they first came out, and I thought nothing of it. Then the craze started, and I wanted nothing to do with it. I hate following the crowd. It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the movie that I thought "hmm, that looks good." And since I know that books are always better than the movie, I wanted to at least read the first one before going to see the movie. I managed to read the 4 books in 4 days, and all before going to see the movie.

Now I understand the appeal of the books. But I wasn't going to read them simply because everyone else was. It was the movie trailer that finally convinced me to give the books a try.

Now the big thing (at least in the world of my Nesties) is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Everyone is recommending it, and gushing about Jamie (the main guy character). I went so far as to put the book on hold at the library and pick it up. I brought it home, and it sat around not being read. Well, I take that back. I read the first couple pages, but didn't make it farther than that.

Finally I handed the book off to H since he didn't have anything to read. He got through it, and is actually on the 4th book of the series, Drums of Autumn. He told me that I'd like the books. He's read some of the books I've read, and he just has a really good sense of what I like. It's not that I don't trust his opinion, quite the opposite. It's just that I don't want to follow the crowd.

The book is too popular, if that is possible. There are too many people talking about. I love it when someone on the book club board says they don't like something about the book. The outcry from the girls who love the books is amazing. I chuckle to myself. It's like blasphemy to them. Yup, I'm spiteful alright.

Wonder if something will convince me to change my mind about this series???

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I've done the SAME thing! I was so against Harry Potter for years ... I wanted nothing to do with it. I actually managed to make it though the first and second movies way before I picked up any of the books. Even then, I was so against ever reading them. "Aren't those books for KIDS??" I would ask aunts or other people my age reading them. Finally, I saw a co-worker re-reading the series in prep for the 7th book to come out. She was someone I shared a lot of common interests (especially several books) with. I thought, well hell of she loves them there has to be SOME kind of substance there, right? Boy was I glad I finally picked them up. lol I made it though all seven so quickly! I'm going to start reading them again in anticipation for the next movie as well. So, after this book of a post (haha) I feel your pain. :)

    I am still refusing to pick up Twilight tho. But I know I will cave one day. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you happy you read Twilight? or not so much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy I read Twilight. The books were good, as was the movie.

    ReplyDelete