Search This Blog

Friday, April 3, 2009

I baked!!


I know, I'm impressed too! I've been starring desserts in my google reader, and I decided that it was time to actually make one of them. Ally's Coconut Blondie's got the honor of being my first dessert! I made them the other night, and I'm definitely impressed. I told H that I would try to include a dessert each week when I'm making the menu. We'll see how long this lasts.

Ally made a chocolate ganache for her bars. I had caramel topping left from a dessert I made awhile ago, so I used that. Turned out really nice.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder (I used regular baking powder)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used 1 cup)
  • 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut, toasted and cooled (didn't toast them)
  • (I added 1 cup toffee chips, same as Ally)
  • Caramel topping to drizzle over bars
Preparation
  • In a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and the brown sugar, beating the mixture until it is light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in the vanilla.
    In a small bowl whisk together the salt, the baking powder, and the flour
  • Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and beat the batter until it is just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and the coconut.
  • Spread the batter evenly in a buttered and floured 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
  • Bake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until it begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and crumbs adhere to a tester.
  • Let the mixture cool completely in the pan on a rack and cut it into squares.
Next Time- I think I'll drizzle chocolate over the top. The caramel was good, but perhaps the chocolate could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment