Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Quick & Easy Chicken, Broccoli & Brown Rice Dinner

Source- WIC Spring 2011 Newsletter

It's hard to say that I'm proud that we receive WIC benefits for Baby Rebel,  but I can definitely say that we truly appreciate what we do get.  Every 3 months I head to the local clinic to get more benefits loaded on my card.  When there they have classes that focus on nutrition.  They also hand out their quarterly newsletter full of information, and recipes.  This is the first recipe that has immediately caught my eye.

Every ingredient on the list we always have on hand, so I knew that we'd like it.  The next time I made a menu I added this recipe to the list and got ready to make it. 

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil (used olive oil)
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (used 1lb tenders)
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli flowerets

Preparation
  • Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
  • Add chicken and cook until well browned on both sides.
  • Remove chicken from skillet.
  • Stir soup, water, paprika and pepper in skillet.
  • Heat to a boil.
  • Stir rice and broccoli in skillet.
  • Reduce heat to low.
  • Return chicken to skillet.
  • Sprinkle additional paprika and pepper over chicken.
  • Cover, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked throughout and rice is tender.
Review & Changes-  What an easy and good for you meal.  However, there wasn't a lot of flavor.  After my first small plate, I added a little salt and garlic powder to the next serving.  What a difference it made!  I didn't want to add seasoning to the rest of the dish before I had tasted my serving.  While I don't like to add a lot of salt to my dishes, the seasoning salt I used is 30% less sodium.

I'd add 1/4 tsp of both seasoning salt and garlic powder to the whole dish next time.

1 comment:

  1. Looks YUMMY! You might be interested in my list of snacks and meals that use primarily WIC ingredients. http://wicwoes.com/2010/what-meals-do-you-cook

    We love brown rice. Even though we aren't on WIC anymore we still get instant brown rice regularly. Such a quick and easy whole grain choice!

    ReplyDelete