Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Taco Stuffed Peppers

 Source- Lauren's Kitchen

I've never had stuffed peppers before.  When peppers were on sale I decided to make my first attempt at making them.  I let H pick out the peppers, so you can see the variety of colors below.  And yes, the green pepper was huge compared to the others.  : )   


Ingredients
  • 6 medium sweet bell peppers  (used 7)
  • 1 Tbs salt
  • 1/2 C cooked couscous (used brown rice)
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced (used 1/2 large onion)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 black pepper, plus more to taste
  • 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 3/4 C Mexican blend cheese
  • tortilla chips, just a handful and more for serving if desired.
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350. 
  • Prepare peppers by washing, slicing tops off, and removing insides. 
  • Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. 
  • Boil whole peppers for about 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften. 
  • Remove from water with tongs and place on paper towels to drain.
  • Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. 
  • Add onions and garlic, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. 
  • Add corn, beans, green onions, taco seasoning, kosher salt, and pepper. 
  • Stir until corn and beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. 
  • Place peppers in a baking dish. 
  • Remove skillet from heat and add couscous, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup cheese. 
  •  Stir to combine well and give it a taste. 
  • Add additional salt, pepper, and taco seasoning to your liking. 
  • Then evenly divide mixture between peppers
  • Top peppers with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
    Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
    Serve with tortilla chips and desired toppings (sour cream, avocado, cheese, etc...)

Review & Changes-This recipe was really good.  And I was happy with the slight changes I made.  I would be willing to make this again, but I think I'd rather try my hand at some different varieties. 

I have 2 other varieties bookmarked in my Google Reader that I want to try.  Mexican Stuffed Peppers and Stuffed Peppers.


No comments:

Post a Comment