Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Fiesta Chicken & Black Bean Enchiladas


Source- Adapted from Kraft.com

If you click the link you'll see the recipe called for hamburger, not chicken.  I intended to make it with hamburger, but I took chicken out of the freezer and thought chicken enchiladas sounded good so I switched things up.  

I also have never used the prepared cheese product before.  It seems way too processed for my taste, but I gave in and decided I'd try it for one recipe.  It's not like I was gonna eat the cheese plain.  It would be melted in the recipe just like any other cheese that I have used before.  

Ingredients
  • 1lb chicken breast
  • 1/2 lb.  (8 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, divided
  • 1-1/4 cups Thick 'N Chunky Salsa, divided
  • 1 cup  rinsed canned black beans (used a full 16 oz can)
  • 12 flour tortillas (6 inch) (used 10, it's what came in my package)
  • 1/2 cup  Sour Cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (omitted since I dislike cilantro)
Preparation
  • Heat oven to 350ºF.
  • Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Add oil to large skillet, cook chicken until no longer pink in center.  
  • Remove from pan and shred chicken with 2 forks.
  • Return chicken to pan and stir in half of the VELVEETA and 1/2 cup salsa; cook 5 min. or until VELVEETA is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently. 
  • Stir in beans.
  • Spoon 1/4 cup meat mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish.
  • Bake enchiladas, uncovered, 10 min. 
  • Top with remaining VELVEETA and salsa. 
  • Bake 20 min. or until enchiladas are heated through and VELVEETA is melted. 
  • Top with sour cream and cilantro.

Next Time-The enchiladas themselves were really good.  I think they actually were better with the chicken than they would have been with hamburger.  

I wasn't a fan of the Velveeta melted on the top.  It reminded me of American cheese when you melt it on toast.  Ever have cheese toast?  The cheese mixed in with the chicken was fine.  So I'd say next time I'd just top the enchiladas with the salsa, and maybe mix a little more cheese in to the meat mixture.  



No comments:

Post a Comment