Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Homemade Baby Food

So it seems to be all the rage on the online forum I frequent to make your own baby food.  I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, and it certainly wasn't a priority for me to make my own baby food.  At Baby Rebel's 4 month appointment, his pediatrician said that we could start solids with him.  Pick a cereal, and then start with orange vegetables.  From there it was our choice.  Just be sure to wait 3 days before starting a new food to make sure he doesn't have a food allergy.

We tried the cereal, and he did OK the first time.  Waited about a week, and tried again and he did better.  Then I just let it lapse.  Feeding him cereal is a lot messier and more time consuming than just giving him a bottle.  Lately he has seemed much more interested in our food, so I decided to try cereal again.  He did much better.  He opened his mouth for the spoon, kept leaning forward to get to the spoon, and spit out a lot less.  Now, I really feel like he's ready to start solids.  


Honestly, we chose carrots because we already had some in the house from Thanksgiving, and I doubt we'll eat them ourselves.  They may not be the first choice, per Wholesome Baby, but it's what we went with.  


I followed the website, and set about making my first baby food.  


Peeled, and cut up the carrots into chunks.  Steamed them, and then pureed.  I'm not sure how long they took to cook, just waited till they were fork tender.  The site says not to use the cooking water in the puree, so I used fresh tap water.  


After wards, I set aside some to put in the fridge for Baby Rebel.  The rest I froze in an ice cube tray.  


Baby Rebel was already in bed by the time his food was ready, so he'll have to try carrots tomorrow.  I'll share more as I expand my horizons in the world of making baby food.



No comments:

Post a Comment