A sad note, I don't have a dutch oven that is oven safe. So instead of wallowing in my inability to make this recipe, I decided to adapt things a bit and use my slow cooker. Took about 4 hours instead of 3 for the meat to reach that fall apart doneness.
- 1 whole Chuck Roast, 2 1/2 To 5 Pounds
- Salt And Pepper To Taste (Be Generous!)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 whole Onions, Peeled And Sliced Thick
- 5 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 2 cans Beer
- 1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
- ½ teaspoons Rosemary Leaves
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over high heat.
- Season meat generously with salt and pepper. Sear meat on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove meat from pan. Lower heat to medium.
- Throw in onions and garlic. Stir for 30 seconds. Pour in beer, and add thyme, rosemary, and salt to taste—about 1 teaspoon. (Do not undersalt!) Add meat to pot, put to submerge, and place lid on pot.
- Cook in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is fork tender and falling apart.
- Shred meat with two forks. Serve on dinner plates and spoon juice and onions over the top.
- Serve with very crust bread to sop up the juice.