Search This Blog

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Baby Sign Language

When I first heard about this concept I loved it.  I've always been interested in sign language, and know the alphabet, but that's the extent of my knowledge.  So getting to learn signs while teaching them to my baby sounded awesome.  

The idea of teaching my son "words" so that he could communicate with me at an early age seems so amazing.  I've heard of so many success stories.  Some parents worry about a delay in speech development, but as long as you are saying the word when you sign it the child will learn both. 

Since Baby Rebel has been born I've checked out 2 different books from the library.  And they have sat mostly untouched at our house until it was time to return them 3 weeks later.  Since Baby Rebel was getting older, and the small amount I read in the books recommended starting around 3-4 months I knew I needed to make a decision.  So, this past weekend armed with a 30% off coupon I bought Baby Signing Time.  The reason I went with a video is that it gives me a person actually making the sign so that I can see how to do it right, and it frees up my hands from a book when I'm learning to sign. 

It arrived last night, and Baby Rebel and I watched it right before bedtime.  I really like it so far.  Together, we just watched the first chapter, which was about eating and drinking.  The woman shows the signs, sings a song, and then they show babies and toddlers of different ages showing how they make the sign.  I think that last part is important so that you can get an idea of what a child making the sign is like, since they aren't precise like the lady.  

Obviously it will take time (read: months) before we see any signing from Baby Rebel, but we have to start sometime.  H and I watched more together when he got home.  We need to be on the same page, and consistent, in signing if we really want the baby to learn.  

I'll keep you updated on any progress.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment