Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

Source- Lauren's Kitchen

I've never had Chicken Cordon Bleu.  For some reason I always assumed that it had bleu cheese, and I don't think I'd like it.  But when this recipe popped up in my Google Reader I thought the pictured looked so good that I at least had to check out the ingredients. 

Turns out I liked everything that you use, so I had to make this eventually.  Eventually became this past week when I added it to the weekly menu.  It uses ham, and I still have some left in the freezer. 

Ingredients
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb diced ham
  • 2 c cooks, shredded chicken breast (used 2 fairly large chicken breasts)
  • 4 T butter
  • 1/4 c flour (had to use cornstarch)
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
  • 14 oz can chicken broth
  • 3 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
  • 1 c shredded cheddar
  • 1 c shredded mozzarella or swiss (used 2 cups mozzarella)

Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • I cooked the chicken on our George Foreman. Then I shredded from there.
  • Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat. (used Dutch oven)
  • Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
  • Then add the garlic, chicken and ham and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
  • Add the butter until it is melted, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.
  • Slowly stir in the chicken broth, then mix in the rice.
  • Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with your cheese.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Review & Changes-  This recipe was really good.  I really, really liked it.  And it makes lots, so you get lots of leftovers to enjoy it longer. 

I wouldn't change anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment