Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

Ranch Ham 'N Cheese Pasta

Source- ...and a Cookie for Dessert

When I first saw the title to this recipe I assumed it had Ranch dressing in it and I was unsure how ranch dressing would taste with ham and pasta.  But, after looking over the recipe and discovering that there isn't actually any dressing it, I added it to my list of recipes to try.

After buying a huge ham that we had the meat department cut into steaks I went in search of a ham recipe to use some.  I saw this and decided to give it a try.  I love when recipes have a bunch of ingredients but I have most on hand.  Weird yes, but I like it!

Ingredients
  • 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning (omitted)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
  • 2 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Preparation
  • Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. 
  • In a Dutch oven, melt butter; whisk in flour until smooth. 
  • Gradually add milk and seasonings. 
  • Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Reduce heat; fold in sour cream until blended. 
  • Add ham and pasta; cook and stir until heated through. 
  • Remove from the heat; stir in Mexican cheese blend until melted.
  • Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Review and Changes- This recipe really surprised me.  With all those seasonings it actually had a ranch flavor to it.  I was really impressed and H and I both really liked it.  I wouldn't change anything and I'd definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment