Search This Blog

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tuna & Pasta Cheddar Melt

Source- Meijer Mealbox

Ever make Hamburger/Chicken/Tuna Helper?  Yeah, me neither.  ;)  Confession: I don't always want to slave over a stove following a meticulous recipe that is on my laptop in the living room.  I want quick, easy, with minimal fuss.  So, while I know they aren't good for you we do have a few of these helpers in the house and I break them out on the rare occasion.

When I came across this recipe I was immediately intrigued.  It sounded like it was along the lines of a Tuna Helper, but homemade.  I had to try and see if I could make my own. 

Ingredients

  • 3 Cups Corkscrew-Shaped Pasta, uncooked
  • 2 tsp. Margarine, melted
  • 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 Cup  Frozen Peas
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 2 tbsp. Italian-Seasoned Dry Bread Crumbs (used Panko breadcrumbs)
  • 1 Can  Condensed Chicken Broth (10.5 oz.)
  • 1 Can Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (10.75 oz)
  • 1 Can  (6 oz.), drained and flaked (used 2-6oz. cans)
  • 1 Soup Can Water
Preparation

  • Heat broth and water to a boil in skillet.
  • Add pasta and cook until tender, stirring often. Do not drain.
  • Stir in soup, milk and tuna.
  • Top with cheese.
  • Mix bread crumbs with butter. Sprinkle on top.
  • Heat through.
Review and Changes-  This was pretty fantastic.  Exactly like a Tuna Helper, but a whole lot healthier since you control the ingredients.  I'd stick with the extra can of tuna.  I'd make this again, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment